Steak is a Vegetable too. Stop Hating.
You are what you eat. Steak eats vegetables. Steak is a vegetable. You can thank me later. Stop hating.
Dear readers, by now you know that meat is an integral part of my make-up and I may be late to clarify, but that generally means steak.
Southwestern Steak Salad
I don’t “Atkins” by any degree, and I will have you know that I love me a good salad, so when Bianca came across my radar and introduced me to this culinary wonder, I just had to share it!
It all started with one of life’s essential pleasures…hearty, heavenly, honest food and through food I discovered a taste for what makes me tick.
And boy am I glad that this is her passion. Check this out:
Southwestern Steak Salad
- Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: +- 10 minutes
Ready in: +- 20 minutes
Variations: Substitute flank steak with skirt steak or sirloin steak
- Servings: 2 to 4
Tips: This salad can be served as a main meal or as a starter or light meal.
- Cooking guideline based on 3cm thick steak
Rare: 4 minutes on each side
Med-rare: 5 minutes on each side (recommended)
Medium: 6 minutes on each side
Well-done: Not recommended
- 500g flank steak
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60g mixed lettuce leaves
- 20g wild rocket leaves
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 400g tinned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ear of corn (mielie), steamed and cut off the cob
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 serenade (sweet) chillies, sliced
- 40g mature cheddar with peri-peri, chunks
- 12 tortilla chips, for garnish
- Fresh coriander leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Prepare all of the fresh ingredients for the salad and combine in a large bowl.
- Lightly coat the flank steak in olive oil and season with cumin, chilli flakes and salt.
- Grill the flank steak on a hot fire or griddle pan, turning to cook on both sides to your preferred doneness (see cooking guideline above).
- Allow the meat to rest for half its cooking time.
- Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the steak and toss into the salad.
- Drizzle olive oil and a squeeze of lime juice over the salad and top with a few tortilla chips for crunch.
Fetch the City
I don’t know what more to say. We considered the vegetable, took account of the steak ended up with a combined and heavenly salad.
Does God speak this language? Does anyone know? This must be it. This is the language that God speaks.
Check out more of Bianca’s content. Amen.
Our MissionHere at Fetch the City, we're on a mission to unite the Pretoria based foodie bloggers and foodie folks on social media. Please tell us about your favourite foodie sites in the comments below and we'll do our best to blog about them. Thank you!
We're open from 8am - 5pm, Monday - Saturday
Get your first order for
R50 R40 and save 20%